WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Suggestion - compaire multiple realms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuzoh

WR Updates: 8,884
Kuzoh WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Suggestion - compaire multiple realms Reply with quote

It would be nice if the players could compaire, for example, numbers of hunters for every realm in some sort of order.

So if I wanted to use something like that system it would be something like this:

I'm interested in which server has the least number of hunters
*click hunter icon*

and I see something like this:

note: having it in some order like largest to smallest from top to bottom helps. I didn't keep that in mind when I made that example Laughing

Also, doing this for races would be nice too.
xpolockx

WR Updates: 4,146,807
xpolockx WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty good idea. Not that I'm interested in transferring off my server, but it might help those that are without them having to look at each and every server one by one. I don't know how much programming effort would have to go into it, though.

Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be an interesting test to see, but I am betting that on well covered, mature servers, you're likely to find that the class makeup of each server (percentage wise) will be pretty much the same for like rule sets (ie PVP, PVE, etc).
Kuzoh

Kuzoh WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it you made a very good point Rollie. Usually it is the same on mature servers. It kind of averages out after x ammount of time. What I sugguested is probably not worth the effort.

One more thing popped into my mind. (and is on topic ^_^)

I was browsing realm activity history (class, fraction, and player) and it would be great if we could see more than one realm at a time. Maybe if we can compare how active one realm is to another. Maybe even compaire several realms at the same time or all realms at the same time.

It would be nice to see groups of realms that have a lot or or none of either offline, low, medium, high, and/or queued.

For example in "Realm History" I'm interested in servers that have never put players on a waiting line.

Um, actually thinking about it a little more.... it kind of feels like this kind of situation will pan out just like classes do for all servers, but what are your thoughts?

Maybe there are constants like:
- servers that never queued are low population/activity
- servers that often queued are high pop/activity

So thinking a little more... maybe we can exclude servers from these kind of functions based on how old the server is. These kind of features could help for young and new servers to come. Then again, you can argue things will become so random that data is not relevant till it reaches past a server's maturity.

I'm confusing myself >_<
What do you think about that?

Also a side question. My wow account is frozen so I can't test this right now. I was wondering; how long does it take to complete a run of the census mod ingame? Depending on population and activity could change the length but an estimate will help answer my question perfectly.
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on a typical server a census run can take 5 - 10 minutes.

You bring up some other interesting points. I'll tag this thread for future ideas =)
oiseaux

WR Updates: 526,961
oiseaux WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On servers that are very busy and during peak hours, I have had a census run take over 20 mins long.
xpolockx

WR Updates: 4,146,807
xpolockx WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, during peak hours it easily takes 20 minutes to take a census on my server, but we're high most of the time (even queued occasionally, although that'll probably drop a little once school starts again.) On medium servers though it's usually only 10 minutes though.

Cool ideas about the comparison Smile

Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,068,258
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 5-10 minutes for <1000 online people (particularly when the server isn't too heavy on 60s), 20-25 for >1500, especially when it's nearly all 60s so it has to break every race/class combination up into searches by name. Recommended servers are great though, takes under 5 minutes Smile
Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

WR Updates: 44,279
Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to searching by location Rollie? Suggestion of mine long-long, ago.

Shocked
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think that is a feasible way of doing it. I might try some trials just to see, but I am afraid that it will take just as long, if not longer.
Kuzoh

Kuzoh WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more food for thought. Very Happy

It would be cool if a searcher could look for these things:

Highest/Lowest population of a certain class. Display the top 5 or 10 that match this search criteria.

Higest/Lowest population of a specific fraction. Display the top 5 or 10 that match this search criteria.

Higest/Lowest/Middle activity ratio and/or population ratio of a certain fraction. and balh blah.

If I could search and see results that are easily viewable on one page that can compare multiple servers at once I would be sooooo happy.* Trying to randomly search multiple servers and hopping the ones I'm looking at are pvp and fit a certain criteria I had in mind is very hard.

*: happier than Wink Smile Razz Very Happy Mr. Green
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and about running the mod. It's really cool that you can run it and do other stuff like travel on a mount and stuff. Unlike Auctioneer because you have to stay next to the npc. All the text that floods the chat box sometime gets in the way of looking for trade/party/friend/whisper/etc. Maybe if it's hidden or possibly make it an option to see or hide it.
Rollie
Site Admin

Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hide the spam. Under the Census Options, uncheck the option for Verbose.
Kuzoh

Kuzoh WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what the big word meant. Laughing Thanks Rollie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: