WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Census seems to be inefficient

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dremvek

WR Updates: 54,851
Dremvek WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Census seems to be inefficient Reply with quote

When doing a server with a ton of level 60s, it seems that Census is not catching something properly.

I was watching on verbose mode, and it was doing something similar to the following (I don't have a WoW client with me now, so I'm posting by memory - forgive the incorrect syntax, but the message should be the same):

/who Night Elf Hunter 60 n-z - 49 returned
/who Night Elf Hunter 60 n-y - 49 returned

etc. This seems to be working fine. But then it gets to:
/who Night Elf Hunter 60 n-s - 45 returned
/who Night Elf Hunter 60 n-r - 42 returned

At this point, it should be stopping as it's found its less than 49, but it keeps going - keeps going to the extreme:
/who Night Elf Hunter 60 - n-n - 2 returned
/who Night Elf Hunter 60 - n-m - 5 returned

It does this all the way back to A, and then reports an error about too many returned.

Is this any sort of known issue?
Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

WR Updates: 44,279
Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't realize, "n-z" is only looking for characters with the letter "z" in their names. So using your example, I don't know why only finding 2 NE Hunters with the letter "n" in their name would be an issue.

The error is normal, and you should just ignore that Razz
DM.
Census Tester

WR Updates: 841,833
DM. WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes its hard to get everyone on a server in one scan, especially when its a crowded one. The /who results do not slow down your connection at all, so not to worry there. If you have the mod set to run automatically you will eventually get everyone. Just turn off the verbose option and just go do whatever in game. You shouldn't notice any slowdown at all. It does go into a deep scan to find chars in game. But any deeper and it will just make the scan really long, so it normally stops at that depth. And I think when it goes that deep it does only a certain set of letters.

This thread might be helpful if you want to know more about the scans....
http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12482

Click my sig
Dremvek

Dremvek WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about it slowing down the client any - I was just hoping there could be something done to reduce the time it takes to scan. I play on a server with 1000+ level 60 alliance characters (nearly 500 night elves alone) on at a time, and it seemed that this method was just returning a lot of duplicate names. I was wondering if there was a way to reduce the number of times the same name came up - it's taking nearly 20 minutes to do a scan on that server where it takes less than 5 to do a server with a more balanced level curve.

That link you provided cleared things up some, and I thank you for that. Like the OP of that thread, I was also confused about the letters at the end. That cleared quite a bit up.
Dremvek

Dremvek WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyfire wrote:
In case you didn't realize, "n-z" is only looking for characters with the letter "z" in their names. So using your example, I don't know why only finding 2 NE Hunters with the letter "n" in their name would be an issue.

The error is normal, and you should just ignore that Razz

My issue was my misunderstanding - I thought the n-z was looking for characters beginning with, not including. That's why I thought that it should stop after it found less than 49. In my example, it should have stopped at n-r had it meant names beginning with n-r, as the who limit would not have been reached, so it should have never continued to n-n. Now I know better.
Skyfire
Trolling Enforcement

WR Updates: 44,279
Skyfire WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking intelligent questions is nothing to be ashamed of. "Why?" is an intelligent question. Smile
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's some minor inefficiency when it hits letters, but that's partially required as well. In order to be more assured that it will see pretty much everyone, it has to scan multiple letters.

Unfortunately it's a limitation in the system and not something that is going to change =(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: