WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Possible virus/trojan/keylogger detected on WCR Forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Possible virus/trojan/keylogger detected on WCR Forums Reply with quote

I am embarrassed and saddened to report that we have had some sort of hack on at least the forums of WarcraftRealms.com. You can find more information here:

<a href='http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18533'>http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18533</a>

As this seems to have only affected the forums, I think the exploit used only impacts the forums and the rest of the site at large has escaped any harm.

It appears that primarily Internet Explorer users are at risk as this hack utilizes ActiveX weaknesses to attack users computers.

While this embarrasses me greatly, I felt it was important to notify anyone who has visited the site recently to be sure you can take appropriate measures in making sure your system is secure.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may be upon you and I am doing my best to rectify any security holes here on WarcraftRealms.com.
Eyeball-Dragonmaw

WR Updates: 1,326,720
Eyeball-Dragonmaw WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate your honesty. I exclusively use Firefox, but will immediately run a virus/spyware scan on my computer.
Alanthus
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 1,891,532
Alanthus WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, anyone using Explorer 7 with default security settings should have had a warning about the activex control unless they have warcraftrealms as a trusted site. Still, running a full virusscan and using something like the Kaspersky online scanner for a second opinion is never a bad idea after something like this. Specifically when we're talking WoW the launcher actually detects most of the keyloggers etc. commonly used to target WoW accounts.

WR Updates: 8,356
thomasjs WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your self alot of time and suffering and get Firefox.

http://www.getfirefox.com
DM.
Census Tester

WR Updates: 841,833
DM. WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomasjs wrote:
Save your self alot of time and suffering and get Firefox.

http://www.getfirefox.com
QFT

Click my sig
Hybuir
Gear Dependent Squirrel
Gear Dependent Squirrel

WR Updates: 2,608,667
Hybuir WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people at work don't have an option. anything that's not approved gets reported. you wouldn't want to see me when im unemployed Razz

Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,101,294
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the point in following the trends anyway - all everyone switching to firefox does is get the virus writers to target firefox, clever.

It makes no difference anyway, if you have a brain you don't get infected no matter which browser you use... I've always used IE and only had one virus in over seven years, when I was brand new to the net and didn't know much. Once I learned, no troubles.
Marwell

WR Updates: 0
Marwell WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no difference anyway, if you have a brain you don't get infected no matter which browser you use... I've always used IE and only had one virus in over seven years, when I was brand new to the net and didn't know much. Once I learned, no troubles. http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18533
Thanks, Balgair. You are right about your above statement...I'll just take off the sunglasses and obey.....Many thanks.....Site correct!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: