WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
The stats are all skewed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: The stats are all skewed Reply with quote

What has become of the Census page? It seems that most realms have skewed information on the population and balance. I really don't trust this site anymore unless you decide to purge all data and be the only dedicated one to gather information on all realms to avoid skewed data.
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is two fold.

The main and biggest problem is that there are many realm/faction combos that are not very well covered and we do not get regular updates on. You can tell the number of updates we get for a realm/faction by looking at the Player Activity page. One or two regular submitters can cover a realm pretty well as far as just catching most players in a snapshot.

This is a simple problem to fix. We just need more folks submitting for realm/factions that are not well covered. I cannot do this on my own, and I have to rely on the users to not only submit data, but encourage others on their realms to do the same.

This site has always been a community effort. There is no way I could get census data on my own for the over 200 servers Blizzard now has online. 200 servers = 400 realm/faction combos.

Plain and simply put, we need more folks submitting data. The #1 thing you can do to help is to be a regular submitter. The #2 thing you can do to help is to encourage others on your realm and especially the other faction on your realm to submit data.

I continue to add features to the site that will hopefully encourage more people to submit and to submit regularly. If you can think of other ways to encourage folks to participate, I would be very interested in hearing about them.

So in short, I am sorry if you feel you cannot trust the numbers. But that is not really my fault. It a shortcoming of the community.
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible change would be to change the data shown on the Census display for the last 60 days instead of the last 30 days to allow for a wider range of data inputs. But that is a topic for another thread.
Alanthus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the problem is not a shortcoming of the community or you Rollie, it's Blizzard not being able to leverage their content the way they planned it initially with web access to more than the forums.

Still, it's fairly obvious that Blizzard has no incentive to get their act together on this, rather the opposite. That leaves this site where Rollie is doing a good job of creating the framework and making sure things keep on ticking and the community to provide the data. Considering there is 200k-250k concurrent players at peak every day I'd say there are 300k-400k dedicated players, it's not a big stretch to think that 400-500 of those have an inner statistics geek that want to get out and help provide data. It's not a huge undertaking to contribute a little bit all the time, it would be an overwheling one to try and get all the data as one person.
Ruoivas

WR Updates: 0
Ruoivas WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rollie wow man i love this site and the sigs u can provide wow nice job.

/clap

/cheer

/clap

/cheer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: