WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
EU-Azuremyst

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bibbley

WR Updates: 68,457
bibbley WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: EU-Azuremyst Reply with quote

Hi all,

Questions as I am new here:

1) Should I after taking a census of alliance exit the game upload and then log back in to do the other side i.e. is this the count of updates or does the census mod make this superfluous and you just let it run?
2) Is there any way to find out who else updates my realm so as to coordinate?
3) What is the best way to promote this without getting this site into issues e.g. is the realm forum ok, general trade or just stick to personal contacts/guild?
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 24,795,456
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Your choise really. Some people prefer making frequent small submissions, others tend to gather big piles of info and only submit every now and then.

I personally almost never submit data from just a single faction / server, but as said, that's a personal preference of mine.

If you submit often, you create more accurate data for the activity graphs, but other than that... Just do what suits your own playstyle and time usage. Very Happy

2) To my knowledge, not really. A rare few posters have info about the realms they census in their signatures and for some others, like myself, examing one's list of claimed characters can provide clues to where one is active. But the latter method isn't foolproof. I for example census a much wider range of realms than what you could see just by examining the characters I play.

You could naturally try making a post here with a topic along the lines of "Looking for other EU-Azuremyst CensusPlus users..." or so and seeing,, if you get any replies.

3) CensusPlus and / or Warcraftrealms are occasionally mentioned on the EU forums (I very rarely read the US ones, so no comment on those), but are not actively promoted as such (as far as I know).

Using the ingame channels is likely to attract complaints about spam and/or get you ignored, so I would avoid that.

Personal contacts and guild members can be a good or a bad way to work as not everyone is interested in the kind of data that is available here on the site.

On a generic level, quite a few people know I frequent this site, but the number of people who know my handle here is a lot smaller.
bibbley

bibbley WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) So what you are saying that the number of submissions relates to the number of files uploaded rather than the number of actual census's done - thats a bit of a bind but until I can find some other vounteers that the way I suppose
2) Will have a rummage around the site and maybe ask
3) I will probably just stick to the guild for now thanks
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I am saying... because the system only allows one entry per character in the .lua. To clarify the situation further, I'll give you an example.

Character X reaches level 32 and is unguilded at the time. It's Monday morning, 09:00. You are online and record him along with other characters. You submit the data and as he has been seen before, you get +1 update from him. At 10:05 you run another census... by that time, he has joined a guild. You upload again and get +1 update from him. At 18:07 you run a third census. By that time, he has gone up to level 36 and been kicked from the guild he joined. You upload the data and get another +1 update from him.

Now, supposing you had elected not to upload the first two times... Well, late in the Monday evening the character would be level 36, unguilded, you would have a total of +1 update from him and the character history would reveal nothing about him being level 32 or a member of the guild during the Monday.

Also, the effect of him being online would only be visible in the activity data for around 18 to 18:59, Monday.

Furthermore... If you can submit census results twice per day, you can guarantee a yellow level reliability for data in 25 days, even if you are the only one doing that faction. If you can submit four times a day, you get green reliability level by yourself in the same time.

Once again, everyone's efforts count! Even if you only submit a single time per month, it still helps a bit. Very Happy

Epic Censi wishes happy censusing and a nice day! Smile
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,349,784
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974ER wrote:
Furthermore... If you can submit census results twice per day, you can guarantee a yellow level reliability for data in 25 days, even if you are the only one doing that faction. If you can submit four times a day, you get green reliability level by yourself in the same time.

Actually, those levels are down to censuses run, not uploads made, as I always understood it. Certainly there's no way I've uploaded my server 500 times in the last month (and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one censusing it), but I have censused it that much, most likely.

Otherwise, totally agree with everything you say Smile
bibbley

bibbley WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now I am confused.. so should I do more than one upload or just the standard one at the end of the night?

I can do one over breakfast, one after work an one at the end of the night but if I only need to do one that would be good.

Also if I do a Horde then Alliance without exiting and upload once is that one submission or two?

Confused of Azuremyst-EU
1974ER
Epic Censi

1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the confusion... however, even if I was wrong (which after examining certain details, seems very likely :/ ), the more often you submit, the better for the site's data level it is.

As to your final question, physically it's a single submission, which will count once (or multiple times as Balgair's note makes sense Very Happy ) both for Horde and for Alliance. In other words, a single submission can contain info for multiple factions... I know some of my individual submissions have occasionally covered 20+ factions at a time.

@Balgair, highly unlikely as you only have 11 listed uploads in the past 30 days... Those 11 uploads could however easily contain 500+ censuses. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: