WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
EU region realm question - languages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 6,603,433
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: EU region realm question - languages Reply with quote

How are the EU servers used by people of different languages?
I was under the silly assumption that EU-ENG were mostly english
EU-French were mostly french etc.

I am using wowhead guild profiler to look at guild names on EU_FR servers.. I'm seeing mostly english names.. aren't people using the language packs???

The highly censused EU-German realm Die Todeskrallen seems to be mostly German spelled guild names.

The Spanish realm C'thun (about the only one censused) seems evenly mixed with Spanish and English guild names.

And what about servers with large populations of people who's native language isn't one of Blizzards supported one? Are they using supported language words for guild names.. or slipping in native language names?
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 22,685,133
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few notes:

A) The language pack in use does not really define guild names in any way, shape or form. Nor does it bind one to a specific language realms... I run my WoW in English, yet have and play significant amount of characters on German realms.

B) French servers are dominated by French players, the Spanish ones by the Spanish... But German servers see large numbers of Austrians and Swiss... and due to Germany's population structure, also a significant amounts of Turks on several of them.

And the EU-ENG ones... well, they are a mishmash... Hakkar and Crushridge have been invaded by the Italians, Stormscale by Swedes, etc. And they, like no other group, extend outside EU area... I have met Canadians, Americans, South-Africans, Qutarians, Saudi-Arabians, etc. Some Russians also prefer the (in their opinion and most likely fact) superior EU accounts to their own, etc.

English is the most common shared language... BUT... the truth is that in the EU native English speakers are a minority. And if you see someone speaking really good English... Well, the odds are that you are seeing an (older) Dutch, Norwegian or even a Finnish player.

C) There are plenty of guild names that don't correspond to any current nation or real language. Latin ones being one, languages invented by Blizzard another and then there are the abbreviations, from which one can't tell the language... For example OMG can stand for Oh mein Gott, One man guild and several other things that currently escape me.

And then... there are ones that are simply a mishmash, jokes or gibberish in themselves...

ABCD
Masters of Teräskäsi
Sindorei Supremacy
Gurds of Elwyn Forst
Pony Slaystation
Hordica
Veni Vidi Vici
Meow meow
MyGuilBank (yes, without the d)
KlabbogBagg
Incursio of Tempestas
Heyaa
Xtrem
Loktar Ogar
Moocows
Oost west guild

And so on and on...Very Happy
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 6,603,433
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!
The reason for my question was to find realms with people who might use their native language when selecting character names. So from what you have said I know that I should concentrate on the EU-Eng realms.

moving the remainder of this to another active thread http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4819
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: