WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
what is the largest guild of all servers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmoshell

WR Updates: 0
cosmoshell WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: what is the largest guild of all servers? Reply with quote

i want to know who is the largest guild of all servers.
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 24,795,456
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!

That's a very tricky question. Censusplus can only detect characters that are online... which means only active characters can be counted. The most active guilds don't necessarily have the most members.

Additionally, we normal users don't really have the capability to excute complex searches into the site's data. In theory, you could look into each individual realms data page and examine the largest guilds listed, note the number of members into Excel or Access or some other similar program and sort... but that would mean checking almost 600 realms and at least almost 1200 guilds, if you wanted to keep Alliance and Horde separate. It's doable, but a LOT of time consuming manual labour.

And since the site doesn't have 100% data, the result would still be more of a rough guideline into most active guilds, not an absolute list of largest ones.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,345,507
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this site doesn't remove inactive people who have been kicked from guilds (or deleted characters, racechanged characters, renamed characters), if the character hasn't been seen outside of the guild since, since the addon has no way of knowing who is still actually in the guild without seeing the character unguilded/in another guild. So guilds can appear larger than they really are: my own guild has 4 members listed who actually no longer exist (my OH likes race changing/namechanging or rerolling alts!), and there's only two of us even in it.

However, one way to answer the original question, is that as of Cataclysm guilds are limited to 1000 members. There may still be the odd old guild with more than that, but in that case, they've had over a year of not being able to invite anybody else, and I'd imagine they'd have had a purge of inactives by now! So probably there's a few in the 900s of members, but not likely to be many larger now.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,222,491
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few months I have been looking at character names by using Blizzards web api to dump data from guilds.
You can use www.wowhead.com to look at guild numbers (they weren't completely accurate, but close.) [Correction.. wowhead's profilers are not functional.. they are still updating their code from the screen scraping of Blizzards website to using the api calls]
I did run across a couple of guilds from the high population servers that ran very close to the limit. I think I remember one that had 999 members in guild.
But don't ask what server or guild.. since I looked at alot of them. Over 131 thousand names from guilds that had at least 200 members.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Census Talks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: