WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Hello - question about requesting old content to be removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bca2012

WR Updates: 0
bca2012 WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Hello - question about requesting old content to be removed Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a former WoW player (quit back in '07), and I recently came across some information on this site that has some of my personal information in it (a guild name). I would like to have it removed (it comes up in a google search). Because the information is more than 5 years old, there are no characters associated with the guild name in question, so I cannot associate a character with it and edit the guild name.

I sent a private message to Rollie, but I'm not sure whether he will see it so I figured I'd post my question here as well to see if anyone knows who I can speak to.

Thanks for any help!
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,009,633
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once info gets on to the Internet, it is there until all the servers in the world are turned off.

Besides nothing Rollie could do here can help you keep private something that is already public. All the web spiders that troll the World Wide Web pass through this website on a regular basis. Do a google search on your guild name and you will find it at many places.

World of Warcraft guild names are widely known and copied on many sites.

I am sorry to say, but if you have used as a guild name something that you wish you hadn't used. You are out of luck, and it can come back to haunt you the rest of your days... just like anything else that is put up on the Internet.
Hybuir
Gear Dependent Squirrel
Gear Dependent Squirrel

WR Updates: 2,564,078
Hybuir WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know which guild it is so I will proactively not look at it Smile

bca2012

bca2012 WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringoutyourdead wrote:
Once info gets on to the Internet, it is there until all the servers in the world are turned off.

Besides nothing Rollie could do here can help you keep private something that is already public. All the web spiders that troll the World Wide Web pass through this website on a regular basis. Do a google search on your guild name and you will find it at many places.

World of Warcraft guild names are widely known and copied on many sites.

I am sorry to say, but if you have used as a guild name something that you wish you hadn't used. You are out of luck, and it can come back to haunt you the rest of your days... just like anything else that is put up on the Internet.

Actually, I did do an internet search for the guild name and this is the only result. That is because it was a very small guild with only IRL friends and it was disbanded like 5 years ago. And it wasn't coming up on google searches until very recently, for whatever reason.
bca2012

bca2012 WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think if I logged onto WoW, to the server, and associated a character with the guild name, could I get rights to modify the guild info? I'm not even sure if the guild exists anymore though. Then I'd have to get an invite, and then somehow get the information updated on warcraftrealms.com, which would I guess mean I have to have the census app or something and then upload the data there.
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,367,935
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the tricky thing about internet searches is... the more someone looks for something, the more likely something is to be found, if it exists anywhere.

As to your actual "problem", it sounds like there is something in the guild info that you would like to get rid of, rather than the actual guild name itself. As far as I know, only Rollie is able to modify data which relates to no longer existing guilds with no associated characters.

Bringoutyourdead is correct in his assesment that data that has gone online is very hard to erase. In your particular case, if Rollie wipes the guild info details and resaves the page, the old version MIGHT eventually disappear as most search engines aim to find the most up-to-date version of any particular page.

For the time being, don't search for it, don't even look at it. If you do, it becomes increasingly more likely another search engine picks it up and archives it somewhere.
bca2012

bca2012 WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974ER wrote:
Well, the tricky thing about internet searches is... the more someone looks for something, the more likely something is to be found, if it exists anywhere.

As to your actual "problem", it sounds like there is something in the guild info that you would like to get rid of, rather than the actual guild name itself. As far as I know, only Rollie is able to modify data which relates to no longer existing guilds with no associated characters.

Bringoutyourdead is correct in his assesment that data that has gone online is very hard to erase. In your particular case, if Rollie wipes the guild info details and resaves the page, the old version MIGHT eventually disappear as most search engines aim to find the most up-to-date version of any particular page.

For the time being, don't search for it, don't even look at it. If you do, it becomes increasingly more likely another search engine picks it up and archives it somewhere.

Thanks, that is helpful. Basically, the guild name is the problem. It was changed like 5-6 years ago because it violated WoW's Terms of Service (for the same reasons why I now would like the content removed). So, the guild hasn't existed since that time. Hopefully Rollie can help with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: