WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Database Down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esiemiat

WR Updates: 253,737
esiemiat WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Database Down? Reply with quote

Is the DB down or something? All the Realm Stats charts are blank.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,092,047
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having nothing to do with the above question Shocked

This morning DB stats report looked shocking.. then made me laugh

Since the processing is now more then seven days behind real time the stats are reporting incorrectly. As of the time of this post... 890+ Alliance and Horde faction reports have been updated.. and only 2 characters have been seen.

As we can see from this Faulty report:

World of Warcraft is dead.. and the Blizzard reports of >10,000,000 subscribers is Cake. Apparently while the Blizzard programmers are busy hotfixing and creating the next Expansion Pack.. the accountants and management are busy playing Portal.

for the humor impaired the above was a joke inspired by the CensusPlus DB Stats report.
DaringJedi

WR Updates: 170,897
DaringJedi WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been uploading my data to the website and none of it is reflected in the recent charts. Example: Thunderhorn is displayed as being updated last on the 23rd and has very, very few submissions, but I've scanned quite often and submitted my data lots of times before and after then. So... why am I not seeing my uploaded information reflected on the site's charts?
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,558,113
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because, in reality, the DB queue has huge backlog and its actual status right now is as follows:

Last processed file was uploaded on 2012-12-09 10:05:24.
Current server time is 2012-12-26 02:25:53
DaringJedi

DaringJedi WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Any idea when this huge backlog will be overcome so things are up-to-date within a few days again?
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,558,113
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I have no idea... especially since the problem seems to be worsening, not getting better. I fear only Rollie maybe able to shed light on the matter. And I think he is enjoying the few quieter days of Christmas with his family.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest.. When the domain went unreachable..servers not responding.. I had selfishly hoped that Rollie was working on the hardware upgrades he has mentioned .. but on the other hand, while that might be the case.. it is truly unlikely for him to be doing non-family things on the day before Christmas and Christmas day.
DaringJedi

DaringJedi WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll disable CensusPlus. I mean, the database has been down for weeks now with not so much as a peep from this Rollie guy about why or when it will be operational. You can't let the whole database go down for so long and expect people not to be turned off and forget submissions altogether... Confused
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,585,132
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database isn't down, by any means.. It's just painfully slow..

Data *IS* being processed, and for most users, it happens without errors. A few users (mainly 1974ER) is experiencing errors in the uploads, but it's far from the general picture.
DaringJedi

DaringJedi WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painfully slow? Weeks pass by with no updates on any statistics that I've seen, in spite of "successfully" uploading thousands of names and hundreds of scans. That's not just slow; it's a dead stop.

I just can't see how the operator of the database or website could let this go on for so long, especially with no acknowledgement to its contributors that the issue is known and a solution is being sought.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is called real life issues being more important than just a silly database partially tracking data for a game.

While we all enjoy and are tied together with Blizzards game world environment, and a number of us get a kick out of looking at numbers and trends ... it is just a game and not all that important in the real world of living.

Realize this post is from a guy who just for the fun of it learned the programming language and Blizzard game code interface to make an update of the CensusPlus mod possible.
DaringJedi

DaringJedi WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is fine; no one said that real life doesn't happen, but if at all possible, it's nice to extend the courtesy of informing your contributors about what's going on and why their contributions don't seem to be working.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,099,399
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people like bringoutyourdead and myself, who give our time for free to help out with this site and project, have been doing exactly that: attempting to keep people informed via the thread in the news and announcements section of the forum (which it seems many choose not to read and then bitch at us for not keeping them informed, sigh) and to pass on what info we can get from Rollie. If we're not "courteous" enough for you, I apologise, but we're doing what we can....

(Yes, the above is a bit snippy, but I'm having a bad day and have seen far too many threads like this one already so I'm just going to say what I think Razz)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: