WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
"Malicious software" warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms.com Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,101,294
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: "Malicious software" warning Reply with quote

I'm probably not the only one getting shouted at by my browser about the site being dangerous so thought I'd post here - by the looks of the report, it's an ad provider rather than the site itself, so I don't believe there's been any hacking or similar to the warcraftrealms website. I mailed Rollie as soon as I saw the warning, and very much hope he can get on to sort it out asap, meanwhile, do please use regular antivirus/antimalware programs and addons like NoScript to protect yourselves!
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,110,282
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I hate to say this.. we need to support and not support Rollie...

Support him by clicking on the "Hate the ads button" and making a donation.
Don't support him.. by adding an extension to your browser such as Ad-Block and the malicious junk won't pass the blocks.

This is the problem with Advertisement support for websites.. If you don't have total control of what you are feeding, you end up with no control.. and need staff and software to block bad stuff from your viewer/customers.

If you are using Firefox like Balgair and myself.. you got the warning from Google's scanner... if you are running an old version of IE or other browser that didn't warn you.. you probably got infected.. unless your anti-malware software just happened to know how to block this attack.

I wish Rollie would consider something like being an Amazon associate.. I would buy from Amazon via a link from here.. and Rollie would end up with the associates cut... something like 6-8% of the total payed to Amazon.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,101,294
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollie said he was onto it last night and it now seems to be giving no warnings, so hopefully that's it all fixed now; Rollie said it did indeed look like the ads provider.

Agree on both suggestions above, preferably paying Rollie, as the site does need funds to keep working, but I have to admit I tend to use adblock on pretty much every site and only pay a very few to remove ads (I have paid on this one though! Smile), as I simply can't afford to pay every website I ever use, but these ad-provided malware cases are far too common for me to want to risk having them visible more than I can help. It's a tough one for smaller sites who really need the money that ads generate, because you can't criticise people for wanting to keep their computers safe... but that does mean no cash for the sites that need it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> WarcraftRealms.com Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: