WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
when should i prune?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superxdude

WR Updates: 533,064
superxdude WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: when should i prune? Reply with quote

Dont think I can wait 30 days, files sizes are getting huge...
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,110,282
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pruning depends on your needs.
If you want to keep data for your local use.. you want to delay as long as possible and only prune by time.

If you are running CensusPlus mostly to upload to the site, then the more often you prune the faster the website can process your files. (Once you get a Y on your upload line, all the data the upload covered is just redundant info the processor has to plow through to get to new data.)

If you do a raw Http upload, the limit the site can handle is about 10MB so you need to keep watch on the file size and start thinking about time pruning around 8MB or so.

If you use the UniUploader program then it compresses close to 90% and you can get large data sets uploaded. But by definition if your data sets are that large.. they are full of redundant info.

Personally I tend to do a serverprune every few days when my character count for the account gets up into the 50k characters. (rough guess by checking my upload record) [using the UniUploader debug view I start thinking about pruning when the transmitted size gets over 500kBytes]

I hate waiting for my uploads to process.. I want near instant processing and updating of most wanted and server submissions.. too bad that doesnt happen. Rolling Eyes
superxdude

superxdude WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the addon and wow seem a little sluggish once I've over 15k toons found. Has anyone else noticed this?
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 15,749,605
Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, especially on older machines on logout of a realm when CP writes to the CensusPlus.lua.

Before metalbeast migrated the server I had started pruning any over 3 days because it was unsure that the file would process successfully and having the 'backup' of toons submitted each time after census seemed necessary. Since migration I've gone back to purging after each submission so I don't have local long term history of toons but files are rarely over 1 meg and uploads via the submit data page are quick. Even though processing of files is soon after submission now, I still keep the files so if a submission fails I can upload it again before the next days census. Knock on wood (hammers himself in the head) there have been no failures for me since the server change.
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW metalbeast I've submitted multiple files in less than a minute just for kicks to see if I could get an 'E' and all is great, processing is rock solid. Very Happy
superxdude

superxdude WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wait about 3-4 mins between submissions, just to be safe
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually wait a bit between submissions too but any option available to annonymous submitters that will not see an error should be tested by someone who will '/Cast Flare' if an evil problem shows its ugly head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: