WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Screen Resolution for WoW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still use a screen resolution of 1024 x 768?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No.. I use a larger screen setting
100%
 100%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 6

bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,092,047
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Screen Resolution for WoW Reply with quote

How big is your screen resolution for WoW?

The default minimum is now 1024 x 768 pixels
I've seen people saying they have as large as 2560 x 1600
(with some sizing issues since that isn't what Blizzard designed for...)

The reason I'm asking is that I've been looking at options to enlarge the CensusPlus window to allow for more races or classes and more levels.

I've also been looking at expanding the Guild list box.... to allow Guild-Guildrealm as the selector for data (but that still opens up another can of worms that I'm not yet sure how to solve.)

We are currently running very close to the 1024 width minimum limit. I'm not sure after close examination that we can add 5 levels or another class/race without expanding beyond the screen size.

This is almost completely driven by the limitations Blizzard has on graphic element sizing. The X and Y dimensions both must be a power of 2. For example the Race and Class Icons are currently 64x64 pixels the next smaller size is 32x32 or 1/4 of the current.. and that is just too small. The level bars are 8 pixels wide.. they are hard enough to click on now.. cutting them to 4 pixels is just too small.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,099,399
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920*1080 here.

I note some addons (bar addons, raidframes, RareCoordinator, all come to mind from ones I've used) have scaling inbuilt, where resizing a window/element resizes everything inside it, and certainly not restricted to powers of 2 - possibly an option, or too complicated to use?
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 15,165,342
Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1920 x 1080 full screen for play and if I'm just taking census while doing other things then 1280 x 800 windowed.

Just spitballing here but could you make the Top Guilds by XP a button that creates a new window like the show characters list if another race and class are introduced? Possibly do a levels frame with something like show levels 1-50 and toggle to 51-100 or something like that?
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that's 10 new levels you've got to find room for Wink No mention of races or classes so far though... Razz
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 15,165,342
Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe 1-60 and 61-120? or or hehehe. If the game will last many more years Blizzard will have to at least keep up with the pace they have set. Say WoW is shiny for four or five more years. That would mean at least 15 level increase, one new race and another class if not two of each and I'd bet $1 on one of those classes being another hero class.
Balgair
Araiceil

Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe have a shiny non-clickable graph which shows the full level curve in narrower form (perhaps with suitable labels for key ranges), and then have buttons to select level ranges as Padanfain suggests? Smile
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,585,132
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Default Minimum is 800x600, not 1024x768...

I run at 1280x1024.. Higher setting, and I can't run Ultra settings....
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,558,113
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, Fuxie, the values depend on the monitor.

My screen is ancient so it begins with 720 x 576 and maxes out at 1280 x 1024. Very Happy
FuxieDK

WR Updates: 2,585,132
FuxieDK WR Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974ER wrote:
Heh, Fuxie, the values depend on the monitor.

My screen is ancient so it begins with 720 x 576 and maxes out at 1280 x 1024. Very Happy
Maybe so... But it's not minimum 1024x768 as BOYD stated..
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you might currently be able to use the lesser screen settings.. per Blizzard support
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-system-requirements

The minimum is 1024 x 768
Which means that at any moment in time .. most likely an Xpac release those lower screen capabilities will no longer work.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input... I'm locking the poll close.

With some painful work with Gimp2 I've modified the underlying artwork and made changes in the addon code to implement the changes needed to support the next Xpac.

I'm currently testing a version that runs at 1024x512 for the main CensusPlus window.
I shrunk the level bar width and empty space between bars by 1 pixel which returned just under 200 pixels total in the horizonal. This allows us to show levels 1-100.

For those who need to run at a lower screen size the Warcraft client will automatically resize everything as normal... with the standard degradation of display. To see what I mean put your game into window mode and use your mouse to shrink and expand the display.

I'll have a screenshot later to show what the future could look like.... though to be honest... I don't expect this version to go live.. I expect Blizzard to make more unexpected changes that we will have to compensate to overcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: