WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Cross region accounts and WoW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,131,290
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Cross region accounts and WoW? Reply with quote

Apparently since the login region data is now on the servers and not in client files the old way of playing in the other region doesn't work.

So who knows the best way to get to the other region (without getting on a plane or boat Twisted Evil )

I created an account on the EU battlenet. I now virtually live in the UK.

After some fooling around with the new Battlenet launch app I got a new WoW tree started \EU\Battlenet and \EU\World of Warcraft

I started the EU version download... that will take awhile!
The battlenet app keeps claiming the game is playable... when it really isn't (bug in the app) [I don't really need the full game files to sit in the player starting area and run CensusPlus.]

After hours... I gave up on the download for the day.. I need to do testing on the new CP..

Launching the old EXE brought up the game which failed to get a valid login. After a little thought I restarted the Battlenet app and forced a region change and logged out of my EU account
I had to had clean out some bad region update info from the WoW root directory and was able to relaunch and get NA version of game running.

I don't see how it is possible anymore to have 1 client running on NA realms and account, and have a separate client also running on EU realms and EU account at the same time.
Padanfain
Updater Extraordinaire

WR Updates: 17,392,723
Padanfain WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the Battlenet app so no help there but having the US WoW installed in one folder and the EU installed in another has always worked. Both run from their own launchers at the same time with no problems.

BTW, a note about WoW accounts. If you signed up a starter account in the US version you can use the same email and pass for the EU version and visa versa. In other words you are automatically registered in both regions. If you have a pay account in either region the same email and pass is registered as a starter account in the other region.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,201,374
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just switches automatically still - possibly, because I never registered a starter account in the EU, so the only one on my account is in the US. It doesn't say it's a US starter account in the dropdown menu, but when I enter "Starter Edition", I'm looking at the US realmlist and not the EU one.

Would imagine it'd be easy enough to register a separate battle.net account with an EU starter account if you have trouble switching within the one account - then by logging out of one and into the other you can run both simultaneously.

Shouldn't need separate clients or downloads or anything (when it isn't patch day - US gets patches 1 day before EU!), I had no downloads or anything when I switched regions just now, it just worked.
tmtmaster4life

WR Updates: 73,274
tmtmaster4life WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm running two clients at the same time (1st for US realms, 2nd for EU realms) I've run into a little annoyance. Noblegarden!
Having two CensusPlus tolling their end of run sounds wasn't that bad.. but having every egg spawn doing the same!!!

So I did something you can do also, I found/created music sound bites to replace the default /CensusPlus/Sounds/CensusComplete.ogg sound files.
I can't provide copies since I used other peoples works, but you can do the same with your music.

For the EU client I used about 8 seconds of 'The Final Countdown' from the band Europe.
For the US client I used about 12 seconds of 'Still You Turn Me On' from Emerson Lake and Palmer.

I'm sure I'll get bored with these sounds soon... but it is easy to create more sound bites.. just grab your favorite mp3 file and use a sound editor like Audacity (free download from sourceforge.net)
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for having separate wow clients.. <sigh>
Previously -
I launched from UniUploader which launched my default US region Wow Client
or
I launched from Battle.net shortcut to launch my EU region client.

and along comes 5.4.8 patch (which by the way has a number of changes in the console variables.. but nothing I saw prior to release that impacted CensusPlus)... and my UniUploader no longer gets to the old launcher.. but is forced to the battle.net launcher, which is going to make it interesting trying to run both clients at the same time.

But I won't know that for awhile since I had been playing with the EU client to get the language packs to download.. but couldn't get them to work...
and the 5.4.8 patch is now loading the ALL the EU languages into my default US directories.

My download size is 2.48GB what is yours?
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 11,201,374
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on separate clients long ago, it refuses to keep them separate for me, anytime I do achieve it, a patch makes it decide only one will work, and launching the other just redirects it to the "main" one. Sigh. In fairness it's not usually an issue for me, I just wanted one with no addons to lessen the impact of dualboxing a bit (my pc hates it in busy areas).

Didn't notice how big the patch download was but I have a 20MB file in the Updates folder, certainly would've noticed if I'd had a 2GB+ download. I guess the language packs are quite big then!
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm only getting the deDE and frFR packs.. and the download has reserved about 1.2GB of space for each language.

The good part of this is that I should be able to learn a few things that I've not been able to track down about how Blizzard is handling certain text strings in the client and game.
bringoutyourdead

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied the frFR and deDE directories over to the EU client and with just minor upload (~128MB) that client updated.

While I don't read French.. I was able to discover that I had left errors in the localization.lua file that made both the frFR and deDE translations less then usable.. sigh.

There will be a CensusPlus update going out after I pull down the remaining languages and verify I haven't screwed up the formatting on those sections also.

Hard to see your census data when minor little things like your realms aren't displayed.

I really do need to get to work on updating the addon for better localization. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: