WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Census not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Binerexis

WR Updates: 2,948
Binerexis WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Census not working Reply with quote

I downloaded the census MOD today and it's not working. If I type in /census, /census+ or /censusplus, it just comes up with the 'type /help for a listing of a few commands' and it won't work.

Can someone help me out please?
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is not loading at all. Did you download it from the Mods page? If so, the TOC file version is currently out of date. On the character selection screen, click the AddOns button in the bottom left and enable out of date AddOns and CensusPlus.

Alternately, you can download the current beta that is up todate for patch 1.12 here:

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2339
Binerexis

WR Updates: 2,948
Binerexis WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured out that it wasn't switched on a small while after posting ^-^;;;
angelariss

WR Updates: 0
angelariss WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the time I had downloaded the census MOD my server had gone slower.Does the Warcraft Census mod slow down the server??
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 24,817,802
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure whether things are the same on the US realms, but several EU realms have been very unstable lately and that unstability has nothing to do with Censusplus, because it affects even people who have zero addons or all of their addons intentionally deactivated for testing purposes.

Servers are (under normal circumstances) capable of handling very high volumes of all sorts of requests and as such, the addon cannot really affect Blizzard's servers, especially since it's extremely rare for more than one Censusplus user to work on a faction at any given time. However, your own computer may slow down slightly during loading / logging out, especially if you have a very large .lua file and an old computer, like I do.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,281,302
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One minor addition to Epic's response.

There has only been one situation where addons caused problems for Blizzards servers. And that was spambots. Traffic in the chat queues are much higher (multiple orders of magnitude) impact then CensusPlus's api /who calls.
Yet the servers had no real problem until spambots came along.. and Blizzard had a simple solution, they throttle the traffic in chat. For normal chat usage you would never notice or trigger the throttles, spambots were impacted enough to make most of them go away.. Hurray! Not that the Gold Spammers didn't find other ways to advertize.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 7,281,302
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand... If you think things are running slow..
The quickest way to see if CensusPlus is impacting YOUR play on the server is to logout of the realm.. go to the addon selection screen, disable CensusPlus (Only), log back in and see if things run faster. look at info section on your UI display that shows Frame/second and latency.. before and after. I expect you will find very little difference. (remember to turn CensusPlus back on!)

On the other foot.. the quality of your computer will impact the speed at which many complex addons run. The faster your Frame/second rate that faster you get On_update event messages from the server. The faster your cpu/memory combo are the faster the game and the addons can process data. The better the connection you have to battle.net, the faster updates of all the nearby players can be sent to you. Blizzard has improved the situation, but there was a time when going into Ironforge or Orgrimmar would make game play nearly impossible as your client was overwhelmed with updates from the server.
Currently Blizzard is recommending dual core cpu's, 2GB ram memory, and video cards with 256MB onboard. You can play with less, but you will lose features and performance. When I had to replace my burned out video card I was shocked Surprised Shocked at all the visual features I had been missing while playing.

Edit a couple of hours later:
On the other elbow.. I've been looking at the code for some time.. and today I was looking at the libwho library that smart addon authors use to avoid conflict over use of the single who channel. I have just discovered that the library has built in limiters so that a single game client can't send more /who requests faster then once every 2.5 seconds.. and if more internal (on your machine) requests come in faster the libwho library will actually step the allowed request speed down by 0.5 second intervals until the request rate has dropped to one request every 10 seconds to the server. So knowing this, I can definately state.. CensusPlus CAN'T stress the servers. The limiter increase kicks in when the server hasn't responded aready to the previous request.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> CensusPlus UI Mod Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: