WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Bandwidth load and census announcement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambi's Faline

WR Updates: 214,229
Bambi's Faline WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Bandwidth load and census announcement Reply with quote

I admit that I had to stop running WoWCensus because it seemed to slow things down on my connection. (Better than dsl, not as good as cable, but subject to clogs)

Can you put an option in there which disables data collection when in an instance? That would be a major benefit. Last thing I want is WoWCensus hogging bandwidth/processor time when I'm trying to fire off a heal.

Another fun thing I used to do was make a /2 Trade announcement of the current survey.

[2. Trade][Faline] Current on-line realm population 12,349 Alliance

People always seemed to be interested in that. Though I can't see this being a good idea to add as an option to WoWCensus. Might end up as spam if too many people are doing it.

Lastly, I did have a question:

Why does it take so long to interrupt WoWCensus when you want to do a /who on a toon? That was always one of my pet peeves about WoWCensus.

Faline
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 23,384,357
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is not another Addon slowing things down... like ANY member of your group using Gearscore, which is said to take a lot of bandwith?

Also, if you want to, just press the "Pause" option of Censusplus when you want to take a break from censusing.

As for the interruption length, I let Rollie give you a better answer, but I suspect the reason is simply that the programmed interval between /whos is that high.
Bambi's Faline

WR Updates: 214,229
Bambi's Faline WR Profile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974ER wrote:
Are you sure it is not another Addon slowing things down... like ANY member of your group using Gearscore, which is said to take a lot of bandwith?

It seems to be doing better this time around.

But to address the GS question, the slowdown is definitely WoWCensus. Slowdown didn't occur when WoWCensus was disabled.

Quote:
As for the interruption length, I let Rollie give you a better answer, but I suspect the reason is simply that the programmed interval between /whos is that high.

It's quick enough to acknowledge the user request, so I can't imaging that is the problem. But we can wait for the Source to let us know. Smile
Rollie
Site Admin

WR Updates: 480,131
Rollie WR Profile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Census really doesn't use up that much. It's one request and response every couple of seconds. Census CAN use a lot of memory depending on how big your local database is.

Some of the more problematic mods that take up processor/bandwidth are things like MapQuest, DBM, Recount, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: