WarcraftReamls.com
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
Most Wanted Page... Nice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DianeS

WR Updates: 251,089
DianeS WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Most Wanted Page... Nice Reply with quote

OKay, to me it looks like the Most Wanted Realms page has been changed some.
Nice black box, last 30 days, havent checked yet to see if it changes as we fight the battle against the zeros. Very Happy

Or has it been like this & my system is its usual stupid self?

Off to see if I can change them.
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 6,592,991
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a new page.... that means one of Metalbeast's web programmer finally got out from under his client paying work and has started working on the site... there are a number of changes that Metalbeast wants them to make... but unfortunately the changes so far are only the html and not the background php that needs to be fixed for the data to start showing.

I am so thankful that Metalbeast was able to take over this site... if he hadn't come along it would have been shutdown since Rollie didn't have the time to make the changes we needed for MoP and beyond.

The reason Metalbeast could so quickly get us back up with good hardware is that he is a fairly successful business owner in the IT world with companies that provide ISP services and web site development.

The downside is that to keep his business successful he has to spend the majority of his time working on business.

The past month or so.. Metalbeast acquired another ISP company in the middle part of the country which has really eaten into his time. I think it even has interfered with his raiding guild.

He merged his Washington state homed ISP with the one from the mid-west and in the process his non-business domains and email address got lost for awhile. And I was unable to get in contact with him.. until I decided to break into his business side (something I really don't like doing) and made contact again.

Metalbeast after reading my email two weeks ago, wanted to make voice contact again so we could share info but between his business meeting schedule and my often being in a cell phone dead zone we just haven't been able to make contact. After seeing Balgair's recent posts.. I copied that and more fully stated in an email what I think is the cause of the system not recording and tracking submissions.

The bottom line is that after some discussion both Metalbeast and I removed some data from the upload (having to do with the very poorly handled battlegrounds) and in the process broke something due to unintended consequences. I've been working on the addon for over a year so I have a reasonable understanding of how Rollie did his coding. Metalbeast hasn't had that much time with the back end code, but I have hope once the break is found everything will fall back into place again.
Balgair
Araiceil

WR Updates: 10,829,931
Balgair WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inital reaction to the new layout is argh, no! I liked having all the EU languages separate, could see far more most wanted realms that way Razz Oh well, as long as Server Submissions is left alone I'll cope with it Wink

Fingers crossed the site will be working properly again soon then, glad to see it's being worked on at least!
1974ER
Epic Censi

WR Updates: 22,670,394
1974ER WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share both Balgair's happiness about progress and her slight dismay at the loss of the language specific lists. However, judging by what Bringoutyourdead wrote, I think we can all agree that most important part is having a functional back end again.

I have not had much contact with Metalbeast, but he struck me as both highly competent in his field and also dedicated to both WoW and WCR. So while waiting is rarely much fun, I sincerely hope that we will get closer to normal within a reasonable amount of time. However, I also realize that fixing the back end might be pretty large task even if it is not particularly hard or a huge one if it is very complex.

Here are two thumbs up from me! Keep up the good work everyone, whether you be coding, bug hunting or gathering more census data! Smile
superxdude

WR Updates: 474,311
superxdude WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on getting killing fields up and running? I know its off topic but I liked that addon as well...
bringoutyourdead
Forums Admin & general flunky

WR Updates: 6,592,991
bringoutyourdead WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this but...
between issues Rollie had and Blizzard had Killing Fields... is dead
Even the Dark Lady herself can't get it resurrected.
superxdude

WR Updates: 474,311
superxdude WR Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw....shucjks...guess I'll do census then!
DianeS

WR Updates: 251,089
DianeS WR Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring,
just wanted to say a quick thanks for the background info. Very Happy
I figured from reading some of the boards here it was a mighty task Shocked
not in any rush myself, still will fight the battle on the zeros, even if I cant currently see which ones I might be slaying. Laughing

off to meetings for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WarcraftRealms.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: